Everything you need to keep up to date in feline medicine and surgery from Dr. Jolle Kirpensteijn and Dr. Susan Little is in PurrPodcast. We highlight recent advances and news in feline medicine and surgery with help from top experts. Information your whole veterinary team can use!
August’s Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine (2015) is the 7th volume in a well-respected series originated by Dr. John August. This volume contains cutting edge information in over 100 chapters written by experts in the latest issues, advances, and therapies in feline medicine. Read more …
New York, New York! So nice, they named it twice!
New York Vet is the place to be for veterinary CE in November. Join me and Dr. Jolle Kirpensteijn for a PurrPodcast event on Nov 8 at 10:20 am in the Innovation I Showcase. What’s New Pussycat? will be an interactive session highlighting recent advances in feline medicine. Thanks to Hill’s Pet Nutrition for sponsoring our session.
The American Assoc. of Feline Practitioners 5th World Feline Veterinary Conference is focused on complex disease management.
Join me on the pre-conference day, Thurs. Oct 31, for the Hill’s Food For Thought lunch seminar (Between a rock and a hard place: diagnosis and management of constipation) and on Fri. Nov 1 for the IDEXX Lunch & Learn (It’s a new world: update on feline retrovirus testing). Separate registration is required for the pre-conference day and for the Lunch & Learn.
One of the top fun things I got to do in my professional life in 2018 was being a guest on Dr. Dave Nicol’s podcast, Blunt Dissection. It was up there with tidal bore rafting in Nova Scotia, another life event not to be missed. I’m episode 17, right after Dr. Sheilah Robertson (my anesthesia and analgesia guru) and before Dr. Cody Creelman (a fellow Canadian and social media innovator in large animal medicine). I’m in pretty impressive company!
I love that Dave says I was a ‘riot from start to finish’ – who doesn’t want to make people laugh? In no particular order, this is what Dave says we talked about:
1. Susan’s Oyster Fetish
2. The really dull, but (probably) authentic reasons she became a vet.
3. Her views on the current (poor) “State Of The Veterinary Union”.
4. The tough points in her career and the tools she uses to maintain her state of mind and performance.
5. Why she loves checklists and thinks we should use them way more in veterinary medicine.
6. Life auditing and how to say no.
7. Multiple tips she has for all clinics to improve their feline experience (at no or little cost.)
Have a listen to my hour of fame with Dr. Dave Nicol and the other cool episodes too – they’re in iTunes.
Sun Feb 17: Join my half-day wet lab, “Innovative tools and techniques in feline medicine” with co-instructor: Craig Webb, PhD, DVM, DACVIM
[separate registration required]
This lab will feature new and innovative tools and techniques to improve your skills in feline medicine. With a hands-on approach, you will learn new ways to perform practical procedures such as abdomino- and thoracocentesis, placing chest tubes, using local analgesia including an epidural technique, wound drainage, and the best urinary catheters. You will love the new ways to do old procedures that will make your life easier! (PS – most of the learnings can be applied to canine medicine too!)
Mon Feb 18:
- Update Your Protocols For FeLV and FIV Testing
- Approach to the cat with lower urinary tract signs
- Approach to the cat with upper respiratory tract signs
- No more stones: management of uroliths in cats (with Dr Jolle Kirpensteijn)
Fri Feb 1: Purina Masterclass
- Gastric & esophageal disease
- Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
- Approach to the cat with chronic vomiting
Fri Feb 1: Main program
- Diagnosis & management of constipation in cats
- Chronic pancreatitis in cats
Sat Feb 2: Main program
- Investigating elevated liver enzymes in cats
- Feline hepatic lipidosis
Sun Feb 3: Main program
- Inflammatory bowel disease in cats
- Gastrointestinal lymphoma in cats
Join me and Dr. Sheilah Robertson for two days of feline medicine in Warsaw!
Register at: https://www.vetco.org/en